Monday, August 11, 2014

Lightning & Cancelations, but still happy!


Dearest Family!

Well...this week thankfully was not as hectic and crazy as last week...But I have to say that in some ways this week was super disappointing because of the many many  people who canceled on us....like none of our goals were met and our numbers were really low...ugh...but still.... I just felt awesome this week...even with all the cancellations... I don't know why...but I was happy. But that's just missionary work. It's dandy and grand. And lately life just seems beautiful even in it's craziness... (okay, done with cheesy-ness) 
Do you think this is a hint to everyone? Empty mailbox!
So last Monday we had we were really tired on p-day so we pretty much just bummed on the couch at our house and watched Legacy and did nails.... yeah...we were lame but it felt good. haha. Then Monday night we had a lesson with Dusty...and I read him my story that I gave to mom for mother’s day and we talked in depth about the power of the atonement in our lives and how personal it is... I was really nervous about reading the story and didn't tell them who wrote it...it's pretty personal and I wasn't too keen on sharing it a whole bunch, but I've known Dusty for a long time and we've had some stellar lessons and conversations with him and I felt he needed it at the time. So after I finished the story and we said "Amen" and everything and prayed Dusty was like "So what was the name of that story?" so I told him, and he whips out his phone and starts messing with it. I was like "What are you doing?" and he was like "I can't find that story anywhere on the internet...where did you find it? I want to print it off." I was like "It's not online." And he was like "Everything is on online. I'll find it." and I was like "No, seriously, you won't find it online." and he was like "Why not?!" and I was like "Um... cause... uh....this is one of like two copies in existence...." and then he was like "YOU WROTE IT???" ........embarrassing...... 

Tuesday was nuts. The past two weeks there have been a bajillion lightning storms out here...and they are a little scarier than ours because they are super close and super loud and strike the ground a lot more than ours do back at home....Tuesday night it was so close... I sleep by the window so the lightning would flash and light up our whole room and then the thunder would be SO loud! It woke me up three or four times throughout the night and I kept saying..."Sis McMurray.... I think I'm going to get hit by lightning through the window!" haha. She offered to switch beds with me but I was fine :) It was crazy loud though! 
Painting for service. Love the smiles
Wednesday night we went on splits and I went and visited with a woman we've been working with forever named April. She's in her late 30's I think... I'm not sure... But she's less active, and moved here after absolutely EVERYTHING was stolen from her in Arizona and her parents died. Talk about being like Job and starting from scratch!  That night we were going to teach Tithing but it didn't feel right, so during the opening prayer I prayed really hard to know what to teach her...and the thought "Just tell her I love her." kept coming to my mind. So we read in Alma 14 about all the women and children that were burned after Alma and Amulek taught them and we talked about how sometimes God lets hard things happen so that we can learn and grow. How sometimes if we were to receive instant gratification for doing good or instant punishment for doing bad then everyone would be good and not for the sake of being righteous but for the sake of being selfish and getting blessings. We talked about how though sometimes things don't happen the way we think, that doesn't mean that God doesn’t love us.  April told us that she believed in God but she doesn't have faith that He keeps His promises because of everything that has happened to her and how so many promises haven't been met. I asked her if she had received her patriarchal blessing and she said that that was what she was talking about, the promises in it hadn't been fulfilled. We had a lengthy talk on how we need to keep up our end of the bargain and be worthy and also how some promises don't come in this life. Like Jeffrey R. Holland said "Some blessings come soon, some come late, and some don't come until heaven, but for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come." we talked a lot about faith and the song  from primary kept popping into my head so  I sang it to her. "Faith is know the sun will rise, lighting each new day. Faith is knowing the Lord will hear, my prayers each time I pray. Faith is like a little seed. If planted it will grow. Faith is a swelling within my heart; when I do right I know." The spirit was so strong as I looked her in the eyes and promised her, I said  "April, I promise that as  you live the gospel of Jesus Christ and push forward with faith in your Savior, you will receive the blessings you have been promised." 

Sometimes it's scary to do that... sometimes it's hard to promise them something that you don't know when or if it will happen...but sometimes the Lord takes over your mouth and says so pretty powerful specific blessings and you find yourself in shock from what you have just said. But it works. It always does. I've said so many times "As you read the scriptures you will receive clarity of mind and be able to overcome your addictions." or "As you pray you will build a stronger relationship with your Savior and you will feel more fully of His love in your life."

Friday was awesome! We had zone training meeting and it was super spiritual and really inspired me to be more bold and talk to more random people...(which went really well later that night! We got to talk to a random agnostic guy smoking pot at the park...oh missionary adventures...) And Elder Christoffersen and I sang a duet for the musical number. We sang How Great Thou Art. I wish I had recorded it! Elder Christoffersen sings like a boss!  But yeah, it was really cool. Then we had fun celebrating Sis Russell’s birthday!

Saturday was pretty lame...we got canceled on a lot again and then did service canning green beans and relish. Sunday again we got canceled on a lot....but it was still a good day. We went to a lot of church (got taught about eternal marriage again...ew.)
So yeah. Life is life. It's dandy and great! I love Sis McMurray, and hope we get to stay together one more transfer! We seriously think so much alike... I think we are on the same brain-wave...sometimes it's scary, she'll say something that I was just thinking about and about to say...and it will come out of her mouth and I'll be like "Witch-craft!!" haha. We have a lot of fun :) Transfer calls are next Monday, so if you have any mail to send (or Mom the package you wanted to send) you need to do it this week before Saturday. 

I LOVE YOU ALL!! I hope you have a great week and live the end of the summer to its fullest!!! I can't believe I turn 20 in two weeks... That's so OLD!  ugh... I'm just hoping I don't get transferred right before.
Miss you and can't wait to hear from you! :)


Love,
Sister Lenise Diane Volmer

No comments:

Post a Comment